VA San Diego Healthcare System
Veterans Transportation for VA Medical Appointments
The following programs are available to eligible Veterans to assist with transportation to VA medical appointments:
Veterans Transportation Service (VTS): (858) 552-7572
VTS provides FREE round-trip transportation from home to the VA Medical Center and to the Mission Valley clinic for patients with medical appointments, Monday through Friday. There is no eligibility requirement for VTS except that you have to have a medical appointment that day. VTS can accommodate all wheelchair types, walkers and scooters. Veterans not requiring assistance are also welcome. To reserve a ride, please call one to seven days in advance. We need at least 24-hour advance notice to schedule a ride. For more information, see VTS and FAQs flyer.
Disabled American Veterans (DAV), 858-552-7470
This program provides FREE round-trip transportation from home to the VA Medical Center and to the Mission Valley clinic for patients with medical appointments. DAV vans are not wheelchair accessible. Please make reservations at least two weeks in advance.
Special Mode Transportation, 858-552-7575
This program provides wheelchair and gurney van transportation to Veterans meeting administrative and clinical eligibility requirements. To see if you qualify, for more information or to schedule a ride please call the Special Mode Transportation Coordination office at the VA, Monday through Friday at the number listed above between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Please call from one to seven days in advance of your appointment.
Metropolitan Transportation Service (MTS), 619-557-4555
This low cost transportation service provides bus transportation throughout San Diego and North San Diego County.
Veterans meeting the following criteria qualify for reimbursement of travel expenses, in accordance with VA Beneficiary Travel regulations contained in 38 CFR Part 70.
- Veterans with a service connected rating of thirty percent or greater
- Veterans traveling for treatment of a service connected condition
- Veterans receiving a VA pension
- Veterans whose annual income does not exceed the maximum annual VA pension rate
- Veterans traveling for a scheduled Compensation and Pension examination
A deductible is applied in certain situations. A waiver of the deductible will be provided if:
- Veteran is in receipt of a VA pension
- Veteran is non service connected and the previous year’s income does not exceed, or projected calendar year’s income, in the year of application will not exceed the VA pension rate
- Veteran is service connected and previous year’s income does not exceed, or projected calendar year’s income, in the year of application, will not exceed the applicable national means test threshold.
- Veteran is traveling for a scheduled VA Compensation and Pension examination
Veterans may submit their request for mileage reimbursement utilizing any one of the following methods:
- Requests can be completed at any one of the Vetlink Kiosks located through the medical center, as well as community based outpatient clinics. These kiosks are designed for your convenience and enable you to check in for your appointment and request travel in a single stop.
- You can print the request for reimbursement form (VA Form 10-3542), with instructions that outline the various methods of submission to include mail, fax, travel office drop box, or you can turn it in to the administrative staff at your next community based outpatient clinic appointment to be sent via interoffice mail.
- Please note that per 38 CFR, Part 70, VA beneficiary Travel regulations, all claims for mileage reimbursement must be submitted within thirty (30) calendar days from the date that the care was received.
For additional information, please see the links for:
San Diego VAMC
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.