VA San Diego Healthcare System
Veterans Transportation for VA Medical Appointments
The following programs are available to eligible Veterans to assist with transportation to VA medical appointments:
Veterans Transportation Service (VTS): 858-552-7572* ambulatory and wheelchair accessible
VTS provides FREE round-trip transportation to and from the VA medical center (VAMC), Mission Valley, and Sorrento Valley Clinics. The Veteran is picked up and dropped off at their home unless otherwise indicated below. Appointments for transportation must be scheduled 2-10 days in advance of your medical appointment.
VTS serves the following areas:
Monday - Friday
Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
Tuesday and Thursday
*VTS does not serve any areas of the north county.
Disabled American Veterans (DAV): 858-552-7470
***DAV is temporarily CLOSED during the pandemic***
DAV provides FREE round-trip transportation from home to the VA Medical Center, Mission Valley, and Oceanside clinic for patients with medical appointments. DAV transportation accepts ambulatory Veterans (walker, cane). They do not accept wheelchairs or gurneys. Appointments for transportation must be scheduled at least two weeks in advance of your medical appointment.
DAV Transportation serves the following areas:
To VA Medical Center:
Monday through Friday (pick up at Veterans home between 6:30 – 7:00 a.m. and arrive at VA Medical Center by 8:00 am, depart VA Medical Center at 2:30 p.m.)
El Centro ((Veterans are picked up and dropped off at designated locations in El Centro)
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (pick up at 7:00 a.m. and appointments start at 9:30 a.m.. Return departure from VAMC is 2:00 p.m.)
Monday through Friday (pick up between 6:30 – 7:00 a.m. and arrive at 8:00 a.m. at VAMC. Return departure from VAMC at 12:00 noon)
Monday through Friday (pick up between 6:30 – 7:00 a.m., arrive at VAMC at 8:00 am. Return departure at 12:00 noon)
To VA Mission Valley Clinic:
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
To VA Oceanside Clinic:
Monday through Friday (pick up at 7:00 a.m. with arrival at 8:00 a.m. at the Oceanside Clinic. Return departure at 3:00 p.m.)
Special Mode Transportation, 858-552-7575
This program provides wheelchair and gurney van transportation to Veterans meeting administrative and clinical eligibility requirements. To see if you qualify, for more information or to schedule a ride please call the Special Mode Transportation Coordination office at the VA, Monday through Friday at the number listed above between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Please call from one to seven days in advance of your appointment.
Other Non- VA Transportation Services
Metropolitan Transit Service (MTS): 619-557-4555
Door to door service. Low cost transportation. Capable of transporting persons in manual and power wheelchairs, scooters, canes, crutches, walkers and those who are ambulatory. Advance reservations are required. For those Veterans who meet VA travel eligibility requirements, reimbursement of bus fare is available.
North County Transit District ADA Lift Van: 760-966-6500
This service is low cost and serves the cities of Carlsbad, Del Mar, Encinitas, Escondido, Oceanside, Solana Beach, San Marcos, Vista, Fallbrook and Valley Center. Capable of transporting those in wheelchairs, scooters, as well as those with canes, crutches and walkers. Advance reservations required. For those Veterans who meet VA travel eligibility requirements, reimbursement of bus fare is available.
For additional transportation resources in the community, please visit www.ridesinsight.org
Veterans meeting the following criteria qualify for reimbursement of travel expenses, in accordance with VA Beneficiary Travel regulations contained in 38 CFR Part 70.
- Veterans with a service connected rating of thirty percent or greater
- Veterans traveling for treatment of a service connected condition
- Veterans receiving a VA pension
- Veterans whose annual income does not exceed the maximum annual VA pension rate
- Veterans traveling for a scheduled Compensation and Pension examination
A deductible is applied in certain situations. A waiver of the deductible will be provided if:
- Veteran is in receipt of a VA pension
- Veteran is non service connected and the previous year’s income does not exceed, or projected calendar year’s income, in the year of application will not exceed the VA pension rate
- Veteran is service connected and previous year’s income does not exceed, or projected calendar year’s income, in the year of application, will not exceed the applicable national means test threshold.
- Veteran is traveling for a scheduled VA Compensation and Pension examination
Veterans may submit their request for mileage reimbursement utilizing any one of the following methods:
- Requests can be completed at any one of the Vetlink Kiosks located through the medical center, as well as community based outpatient clinics. These kiosks are designed for your convenience and enable you to check in for your appointment and request travel in a single stop.
- You can print the request for reimbursement form (VA Form 10-3542), with instructions that outline the various methods of submission to include mail, fax, travel office drop box, or you can turn it in to the administrative staff at your next community based outpatient clinic appointment to be sent via interoffice mail.
- Please note that per 38 CFR, Part 70, VA beneficiary Travel regulations, all claims for mileage reimbursement must be submitted within thirty (30) calendar days from the date that the care was received.
For additional information, please see the links for:
San Diego VAMC
Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.