VA San Diego Healthcare System
Alcohol and Drug Treatment
Alcohol Drug Treatment Program (ADTP) provides inpatient, outpatient, and medication-assisted treatment for Substance Use Disorders to Veterans, who are eligible for VA Healthcare.
Substances of concern include:
To ensure quality of care, all Veterans are screened by ADTP before being recommended for treatment.
Screening appointments can be made by calling 858-642-3391 or by visiting ADTP in-person on 2North at the VA Medical Center in La Jolla. Same-day walk-in screenings are usually NOT available, unless there are cancellations or no-shows. Screenings are usually available within one to three days of request.
Consults can be entered by VA outpatient providers, then ADTP staff will arrange screenings. Consults can also be entered when Veterans have been admitted to the VA Medical Center. ADTP staff will screen these Veterans in the hospital.
Some screenings are available in Community-based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs) by calling the following numbers:
- Chula Vista: 619-409-1600
- Escondido: 760-466-7020
- Mission Valley: 619-400-5000
- Oceanside: 760-643-2000
Treatment recommendations are decided by the ADTP Team, usually, the next business day after the screening is completed. Treatment recommendations may include:
- Outpatient Services (OP): Groups and limited individual counseling offered at the Medical Center or CBOCs
- Intensive Outpatient (IOP): Groups and classes 4 days per week for 4 weeks
- Pre-SARRTP (PST): Groups and classes for Veterans awaiting inpatient admission to Substance Abuse Residential Recovery Treatment Program (SARRTP)
- Inpatient Treatment: 28-day residential program (SARRTP) at VASDHS
- Recovery Homes: VA-contracted recovery home placement in conjunction with outpatient services (income-based)
- Medication Management for detoxification, withdrawal, anti-craving, and/or opioid substitution
San Diego VAMC
2nd Floor, North Wing
Hours of Operation
- M - F, 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.