Other-than-Honorable (OTH) Discharge - VA San Diego Healthcare System
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

VA San Diego Healthcare System


Other-than-Honorable (OTH) Discharge

Other-than-Honorable (OTH) discharges from Active Duty may or may not be disqualifying for purposes of general VA benefit eligibility or VA health benefits eligibility specifically. 

In order to determine if a Veteran is eligible for VA health care, the following items need to be submitted:

  • VA Form 7131
  • Exchange of Beneficiary Information
  • Request for Administrative and Adjudicative Action

To do so, please call (800) 827-1000 or visit the Health Benefits and Enrollment Office (Room 1587) at the VA San Diego Healthcare System, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, CA  92161.

For more information regarding Other-than-Honorable Discharges and its Impact on Eligibility for VA Health Care Benefits, please see http://www.benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/docs/COD_Factsheet.pdf

Applying for Benefits and your Character of Discharge

Generally, in order to receive VA benefits and services, the Veteran’s character of discharge or service must be under other than dishonorable conditions (e.g., honorable, under honorable conditions, general). However, individuals receiving undesirable, bad conduct, and other types of dishonorable discharges may qualify for VA benefits depending on a determination made by VA.

For more information, visit http://www.benefits.va.gov/benefits/character_of_discharge.asp.

Frequently Asked Questions

For Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), please see Claims for VA Benefits and Character of Discharge 

Those with an OTH who are homeless may be eligible for Grant and Per Diem Housing  services.  If the Veteran has an OTH and is seeking housing assistance, please call (877) 424-3838.

For additional information, please see the Va San Diego's Other-than-Honorable Discharge Brochure.