VA San Diego Healthcare System
Volunteer or Donate
Thinking of volunteering? We need YOU.
Volunteers are important members of our health care team and we appreciate their time, talents, and energy. Every day they help us provide the highest quality of care to the men and women who served our country.
What can Volunteers do?
There are limited positions for volunteers at the VA San Diego Healthcare System including the Oceanside Outpatient Clinic Sorrento Valley, Mission Valley, Chula Vista, Miramar Cemetery, and the Aspire Center. Please indicate your top three assignment preferences on the Volunteer Application. The open assignment choices change weekly, be sure to make an appointment to meet with one of our Voluntary Service Specialists by calling our office at (858) 642-3267. Appointments are scheduled Tuesday - Thursday, between 10:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. at the Voluntary Service office at the San Diego VA Medical Center. The Volunteer Staff will do their best to find you a position that serves our Veteran patients and that you will enjoy.
Requirements to Volunteer:
- Fill out and sign Volunteer Application
- Complete Fingerprint and background check at the VA San Diego Medical Center. One form of State or Government picture ID is needed. If you are not a US Citizen, please bring additional documentation: Passport, Green Card, Visa
- When background check is clear, which takes up to two weeks, the potential volunteer is contacted to start their assignment.
- When the background check and TB screening are clear, a start date will be agreed upon with the VA supervisor. On the first day, the orientation materials will be collected and a badge will be issued.
- Interested Youth ages 16 - 18, please contact Voluntary Service directly to sign up for next Summer Youth Orientation.
- Looking to volunteer during school year – weekend assignments are limited.
- Fill out and sign the Volunteer Application and Parent/Medical Authorization Form.
- Applications for the Summer Youth program will be accepted from April 1st to May 1st each year. Students will be notified of acceptance by May 21st.
For more information call (858) 642-3267.
New Service! E-Donate
Simple. Speedy. Safe. The new E-Donate service now available online allows community members who wish to give back to Veterans a quick, safe way to pledge their support. Through E-Donate, donors can select from a number of accounts at the medical center they wish to donate to. U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs administrative costs are appropriated so donors can be 100 percent certain their donations will go directly to the funds and Veteran patients they select.
Donated money at our medical center goes to Veteran patient programs, homeless Veteran programs, social services, support groups and other programs that directly help Veterans. The actual donation is made through a secure site at the Department of Treasury. A minimum of $5 is required for online donation and you can donate by any electronic means commonly used on the Internet today (i.e. credit card or debit card). You choose the medical center, you choose the amount, and you choose from available options how your money will support local Veterans.
Trust, Estate Planning, and Will Information
Individuals interested in donating to the VA with Trusts, Estate planning and Wills can address the check to: VA San Diego Healthcare System. The funds can be designated for patient needs or a specific program. A list of specific programs are available on the E Donate button. Please contact our office for tax ID number at (858) 642-3267.
If you need additional information or have questions about making a donation to benefit Veterans at the VA San Diego Healthcare System, please call (858) 642-3267.
VA San Diego Healthcare System does not solicit for donations, nor do we allow the name of the VA to be used in solicitations through other organizations. However, for those organizations or individuals who inquire as to our needs, please check out this list of items needed for donations.