VA San Diego Healthcare System
Volunteer or Donate
Important: VA San Diego is accepting monetary donations using the online E-Donate button on this page. For donations of in-kind items, please call our office first for acceptance @ 858-642-3267.
In support of the COVID-19 Vaccination efforts, we are now accepting volunteers for the following assignments:
- Float Staff La Jolla (assist clinic staff with set up of the clinic; directing patients to proper stations)
- Float Staff Oceanside CBOC (assist clinic staff with set up of the clinic; directing patients to proper stations)
- Entrance Screeners (Saturdays and Sundays only – screen visitors entering the La Jolla Hospital by asking COVID-related questions)
- Disabled American Veterans (DAV) Volunteer Transportation Network (VTN) Drivers – pick up and transport veteran patients to/from their VA appointments utilizing DAV vans.
- Patient Escort Services – help escort patients in wheelchairs to their appointment locations.
Thinking of volunteering? We need YOU.
Volunteers are important members of our health care team and we appreciate their time, talents, and energy. Every day they help us provide the highest quality of care to the men and women who served our country.
What can Volunteers do?
There are limited positions for volunteers at the VA San Diego Healthcare System, including the Oceanside Outpatient Clinic, Sorrento Valley, Mission Valley, Chula Vista, Miramar Cemetery, and the Aspire Center. Please indicate your top assignment preference on the Volunteer Application. The open assignment choices change weekly, so please be sure to email our Voluntary Service Specialists, firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with your area of interest, days, and times you are available to volunteer. If the position you want is not available at the time you are onboarded, the Voluntary Service Specialists will send you the list of open positions. The Volunteer Staff will do their best to find a position that serves our Veteran patients’ best interest and one that you will hopefully enjoy.
Requirements to Volunteer:
- Fill out and sign the Volunteer Application, then email it to one of our Voluntary Service Specialists, or it may be delivered in person at our office in the VA San Diego Medical Center, 1st floor, Room 1603.
- Once the Volunteer Application is received by one of our Voluntary Service Specialists, the applicant will be asked to complete the fingerprint and background check at the VA San Diego Medical Center. One form of State or Government picture ID is needed. If you are not a US Citizen, please bring additional documentation: Passport, Green Card, or Visa
- When the background check is cleared, which may take up to two weeks, a Voluntary Service Specialist will contact the potential volunteer to continue the onboarding process.
- Interested Youth ages 16 – 17, please contact Voluntary Service directly to sign up for the next Summer Youth Orientation.
- Looking to volunteer during the school year – weekend assignments are limited.
- Fill out and sign the Volunteer Application and Parent/Medical Authorization Form
- Applications for the Summer Youth Program will be accepted from April 1st to May 1st each year. Students will be notified of acceptance by May 21st.
New Service! E-Donate
Simple. Speedy. Safe. The E-Donate service is available online and allows community members who wish to give back to Veterans a quick, safe way to pledge their support. Through E-Donate, donors can select from several General Post Funds accounts at the La Jolla Medical Center Web portal. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs administrative costs are appropriated so donors can be 100% certain their donations will go directly to the General Post Funds account of their choice.
Donated money at our medical center goes to Veteran patient programs, homeless Veteran programs, social services, support groups and other programs that directly help Veterans. The actual donation is made through a secure site at the Department of Treasury. A minimum of $5 is required for online donations. You can donate by any electronic means commonly used on the Internet today (i.e., Bank account – ACH, credit card or debit card). You choose the medical center, choose the amount, and choose from available options on how your money will support local Veterans. If you do not see a program you would like to donate to, call the volunteer office @ 858-642-3267.
Donation are accepted at our front desk or at the front entrance of the medical center. Call us a few minutes ahead and we will meet you out front. Our office is in the main building on the first floor in room 1603. We encourage all donors to fill out a donation slip to send you a thank you letter and maintain an accurate record of what was donated. Items with profanity, alcohol, or adult content are not accepted.
Trust, Estate Planning, and Will Information
Individuals interested in donating to the VA with Trusts, Estate planning and Wills can address the check to: VA San Diego Healthcare System. The funds can be designated for patient needs or a specific program. A list of specific programs are available on the E Donate button. Please contact our office for tax ID number at (858) 642-3267.
If you need additional information or have questions about making a donation to benefit Veterans at the VA San Diego Healthcare System, please call (858) 642-3267.
VA San Diego Healthcare System does not solicit for donations, nor do we allow the name of the VA to be used in solicitations through other organizations. However, for those organizations or individuals who inquire as to our needs, please check out this list of items needed for donations.