VA San Diego Healthcare System
Women Veterans to Continue Making History
“For the Department of Veterans Affairs, Women’s History Month means more than just celebrating our women Veterans – it means making sure they’re proud of the role we play in the remaining chapters of their story,” said VA Chief of Staff Pam Powers. “We will continue to build on the legacy that America’s women Veterans have carved out by listening to them, respecting them, and serving them with the dignity this country owes them.”
Women comprise about 10 percent of the Veterans VA serves nationwide, and that number is set to increase, as women are about 20 percent of our military forces.
For decades, VA’s principal patient base was men. But today’s VA facilities provide comprehensive primary care for women, as well as gynecology, maternity, specialty care, and mental health services. In the last fiscal year, 41 percent of all women Veterans were enrolled in VA, and we expect that number to keep climbing as customer service, and patient experiences for women Veterans continue to improve.
Since VA started tracking outpatient satisfaction in 2017, we’ve seen women’s trust in VA climb higher and higher. In 2019, 83.8 percent of female Veterans trusted the care they got at VA, and initial data in 2020 is on pace to see that trust scores rise to nearly 85 percent.
VA San Diego Healthcare System offers a host of services geared toward women Veterans, including:
- Primary care/internal medicine
- Preventive medicine, health maintenance, and screening
- Urgent care
- Acute care
- Toll-free, 24/7, Telephone Advice Nurse - 877-252-4866
- Mental health including treatment for PTSD, military sexual trauma and depression
- Menopause management
- Osteoporosis screening and treatment
- Breast cancer screening including mammography
- Breast MRI
- Ultrasound and MRI guided biopsies
- Breast surgery
- Complete gynecology care*
- STD screening
- Cervical cancer screening
- Infertility care – diagnostic testing and IVF/ART services available
- Obstetric care (community)
For more information or to schedule an interview regarding VA San Diego Healthcare System’s services for women Veterans, contact Cynthia.firstname.lastname@example.org.