VA San Diego Healthcare System
Veterans Transportation for VA Medical Appointments
There are three programs to assist with transportation to VA medical appointments:
Veterans Transportation Network, (858) 552-7470
The Veterans Transportation Network program provides free round-trip transportation to and from the VA Medical Center and the VA Mission Valley Clinic for patients with a medical appointment. Please make reservations at least two weeks in advance.
Mileage Reimbursement, (858) 552-7464
Scheduled appointments qualify for round-trip mileage reimbursement and unscheduled appointments qualify for one-way reimbursement for Veterans who meet the eligibility criteria.
Beneficiary Travel has undergone improvements to ease the process for obtaining reimbursement of travel expenses. Beginning January 1, 2013, reimbursement will be primarily through direct deposit into Veterans’ bank accounts.
There are many details to this new process. Please be assured that the rules of eligibility and the rates paid have not changed. Check out the Beneficiary Travel Direct Deposit Frequently Asked Questions for details or call (858) 552-7464.
- Reimbursement will be made via electronic deposit into the Veteran’s bank account within twelve days.
- For those without bank accounts, a check will be mailed to the Veteran within 10-12 business days.
VA Medical Needs Transportation, (858) 552-7575
(you must meet special mode transportation criteria listed below)
You qualify if:
- you have a service-connected (SC) rating of 30 percent or more, or
- you are traveling for treatment of a SC condition, or
- you receive a VA pension, or
- your income does not exceed the maximum annual VA pension rate, or
- you are traveling for a scheduled compensation or pension examination
You qualify for Special Mode Transportation (Ambulance, Wheelchair van etc.) if:
- your medical condition requires an ambulance or a specially equipped van as determined by a VA clinician, and
- you meet one of the eligibility criteria listed above, and
- the travel is pre-authorized (authorization is not required for emergencies if a delay would be hazardous to life or health)
Waiver of Deductible
A waiver of the deductible will be provided if you are eligible for travel and you:
- are in receipt of a VA pension or;
- are a NSC veteran and your previous year’s income does not exceed, or your projected current calendar year’s income, in the year of application will not exceed the applicable VA pension rate, or
- are a SC veteran and your previous year’s income does not exceed, or your projected current calendar year’s income, in the year of application will not exceed the applicable national means test income threshold or,
- are traveling for a scheduled compensation or pension examination
Note: For detailed information, visit the following links for: